DEADLINE FOR CANDIDATES TO APPLY: 16 NOVEMBER 2023, NOON
CO-OPTION WILL TAKE PLACE AT THE NEXT FULL COUNCIL MEETING, 27 NOVEMBER 7PM
With reference to the public notice published by Perranzabuloe Parish Council (PPC) on 26 September 2023, in respect of a casual vacancy, Cornwall Council have confirmed that no requests were received asking that an election be held. Accordingly, it will therefore be necessary for PPC to fill the vacancy by co-option, as provided for by Rule 8 of the Local Elections (Parishes and Communities) Rules 1986.
Perranzabuloe Parish Council (PPC) is seeking one candidate for co-option as Member (Perranporth Ward of Perranzabuloe Parish Council). As a Parish Councillor you may be involved with projects, finances, and services in the Parish; consulted by Cornwall Council on local planning applications; plan for the future of the Parish and much more.
A Parish Council may co-opt as a member any person who is legally qualified to hold such office, and who is willing to serve, provided they satisfy at least one of the following qualification categories:
- Is registered as a local government elector for the parish.
- Has during the whole of the preceding twelve months occupied as owner or tenant, any land, or premises in the parish.
- Their principal or only place of work during the preceding twelve months has been in the parish.
- Had during the whole of the preceding twelve months resided in the parish or within 4.8km thereof.
You may not be able to become a Councillor if you:
- Hold a paid office, or other place of profit, of PPC.
- If you have been declared bankrupt within 12 months.
- If you have been imprisoned for 3 months or more within the last 5 years.
- If you have been convicted of any offences involving corrupt or illegal practices.
- If you have been convicted for failure to register or declare disclosable interests.
Send an email to the Clerk firstname.lastname@example.org stating their suitability and the reasons why they want to become a councillor. Alternatively, send a letter to the Clerk at the address below:
Cyanhale, Ponsmere Valley, Perranporth, Cornwall TR6 0DB
The Clerk should receive this letter/email by the deadline of noon on Thursday 16 November 2023.
Candidate to attend the next meeting – 27 November 2023, 7pm at Chyanhale Parish Council offices to present themselves to Council during public question time, stating reasons for applying – no more than 3 minutes.
At the end of the meeting, candidates will be asked if they are still interested in being a Councillor (having sat through the meeting). Council will vote on candidates according to statutory procedure – successful candidate will receive absolute majority.
More information about what is involved in being a councillor can be found in this informative document produced by Cornwall Association of Local Councils below (click on link), plus a couple of other links to documents that might be helpful.